Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket     Photobucket

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pot roast

I had decided that a pot roast sounded wonderful. Yum. I love a good pot roast. For some reason my sisters don't but I love them.

My normal method is to drop the meal in the slowcooker with some onions, potatoes, carrots and a packet of onion soup mix.

Except I didn't have any onion soup mix, and I forgot to check at the store for any, and I don't even know if it is gluten-free/dairy-free.

So I instead thought about what makes onion soup the deliciousness that it is and the answer is onions caramelized into oblivion.

Note that this is more of a method than an actual recipe mainly because it kindof depends on what you like.



So for the first time in my life, I seared the pot roast (I dusted it with white rice flour first). Since I wasn't going to have the packet-o-flavor I needed to up the natural flavor.

Then I julienned 2 onions and put them in the skillet I had done the searing in with two big pinches of salt and turned the heat to medium high. When they had caramelized quite a bit, I dumped them into the slowcooker and turned it on low.

A bit later, I checked it and the liquid level was lower than I wanted so I poured in about 1/2 a cup of red wine (due to the influence of Julie and Julia I had been thinking about boeuf bourguignon).

When the meat was nearly done, I added the potatoes, carrots and big chunks of onions plus a bit more water. I also seasoned it with more salt and this grill vegetable seasoning I have.

I think it is the best pot roast I have made. Hubby agreed. Both kids loved the flavor although we have doctrinal differences in our household. Hubby likes thick gravy-like liquid, I like the liquid liquid. Daisy thought there wasn't enough slurping liquid, Junior thought the liquid was too much like water.

But at least everyone liked the flavor.

1 comment: